The Howard Hughes Corporation (HHC), in collaboration with the Howard County Arts Council, is seeking artists for the 2019 Merriweather District Artist-in-Residence (MD AIR) program in Downtown Columbia, MD. Up to three individual artists or teams will be selected from submitted entries and provided with a stipend of $10,000 per each artist or team to spend six (6) weeks, from May 13 - June 24, 2019, creating a work of art in a medium of their choosing. The highest priority will be given to artists who intend to produce works that reflect innovative approaches, new media and multidisciplinary art forms.
MD AIR Goals:
- Define and advance the identity of the Merriweather District as a Center of Culture and Commerce.
- Build meaningful engagement between the artists and the community.
- Expand the public's understanding of the importance of vision, creativity and innovation in evoking a sense of place and community, culture and commerce.
- Build a community of artists involced in the evolution of and connected to the Merriweather District.
The selected artists (Artist) will be required to spend at least four (4) weeks in the studio space to be provided by HHC (Studio). Artist will be able to gain access to Studio from May 11-13 to set up their space prior to beginning their project on May 13. Artist will have from June 24-28 to breakdown their space and vacate Studio.
HHC will designate a residence for the use of Artist during the period of time from May 11 - June 28. One private bedroom within a shared apartment will be provided to each Artist for their use during this period of time. If Artist is working with a team, HHC cannot guarantee that it can provide additional residential space to accommodate team members. Additional information about the residence will be provided to the selected Artist.
Only complete applications and properly formatted attachments will be forwarded to the selection panel for consideration. HHC reserves the right to refuse incomplete or improperly formatted applications. Handwritten statements will not be accepted. Please review the Call For Entry and FAQs for a full description of MD AIR before submitting an application.
- February 4, 2019: Proposals and materials must be postmarked or digitally submitted
- March 8, 2019: MD AIR program applicants notified of selections
- March 11, 2019: Contracts due
- May 11, 2019: Studio and residence move-in begins
- May 13, 2019: Work begins in studio
- June 24, 2019: Work concludes in studio
- June 28, 2019: Move-out of studio and residence
By submitting, you acknowledge that you have read the full Call For Entry, which can be found here. A list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) is available here.
Contact: Michele Whelley, MD AIR Program Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions regarding the Submittable application process, contact Katie Wofford, HCAC Grants & Special Projects Coordinator, at email@example.com
To apply, please submit the following. NOTE if the application is for a team (more than one person), every member of the team must provide his/her contact information.